Thursday, March 26, 2009

S.W.A.P.

Today I learned a new sewing concept, S.W.A.P., Sewing With A Plan. The objective of the plan is to sew a wardrobe that is appropriate for your lifestyle, so you will have the clothes you need.

The plan recommends evaluating one's lifesyle, then sewing 11 garments out of 2 basic colors and 1 complementary color.
2 pairs of pants
2 skirts, one solid, one print
6 tops, matching and coordinating
1 jacket

Here are some links about this concept:

Sewing with a Plan,
Planning the wardrobe

Sewing with a Plan Update

Casual Wardrobe Planning

Stitches Article


Sewliz's Template

Jemima Bean's Tutorial on Storyboards


Another suggestion that I read was to organize fabric into containers with coordinated outfits, and sew one container at a time so that one would have something to wear when the container is empty, instead of a bunch of mismatched clothes.

After reading about SWAP I remembered my mother's wardrobe. After retiring, my parents bought a travel trailer and traveled around the country for years. My mother's entire wardrobe had to fit in 2 feet of closet space. Everything was red, white or blue so that she could mix and match everything she wore. My mother made everything she wore. I guess she was ahead of her time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a SWAP session last summer and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I'm adding to it this year with another color that coordinates with the colors I already have.

I cannot encourage you enough to do this. You'll be thrilled with the results. I'm actually wearing an outfit from that SWAP session as I type this.

Mid-Life Meandering said...

I am definitely going to try it. I hope I can find something to do this in my stash. I really don't want to buy more fabric.